Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saltwater Disaster




So I just dipped my digital camera in the saltwater of St. Julian’s Bay in Malta and it went nuts, I fear it is toast. You might well think to yourself that is the singular most stupid thing you have ever heard, at least in modern times, hear me out however.

I have done this before, several times actually, and it worked well, albeit in lakes and rivers that were fresh water. I did hesitate a second before I did it thinking if the chemical difference in the water would really make that much of a difference and I decided if it was sealed it is sealed. It is a WR or “water-resistant” Olympus Stylus 1200 http://www.dpreview.com/news/2007/8/23/olystylus1200 and it is not remotely new, I have used it and abused it. I did actually offer to sell it to a guy at work recently for something like $120 and then I decided, hey I still need that. Living in the greater Seattle area it is very damp here with rain and water spray out and about fishing and whatnot. It has been a good solid camera.

The water resistant feature means you can hold it under running sink water and it is fine. It is not designed to take pressure however and I know that and have never asked it to do that for me. I have put it in the water though lying right on top and making sure the lens was under and taken shots that way. I also did a half-and-half, half in and half out and that also worked quite well.

Being here in Malta it is sunny and the water was clear there was a school small fish close and I wanted a pic of them. I clicked it and when I took it out I had a serried of multicolored vertical lines down the LED screen and I thought oh-oh…
I took the battery out and my first fear was the flash card. I have checked it and it is OK. “No pictures were lost in this movie of my life’s choices”. When I got back to my hotel room I rinse dit off with fresh water and it is drying now. I still hold out a faint hope it will live again….Saturday 9/15/2012 at 12:51 pm from St. Julian’s Bay Malta at the http://www.hoteljuliani.com/?gclid=CP3Q-6S1t7ICFUJd3god9igAFw

to be continued.........

No comments: