Sunday, April 12, 2015

Hanoi- the old quarter and some excursions



Walking along the waterfront in Cadiz, Spain in 2008 there was an old man and a dog relaxing in the shade of a large, old banyan tree with huge roots splayed out. We stopped and petted the dog and talked with him a bit. He pointed out in the water and exclaimed:
“Do you know what happened out there? The fantastic battle of Trafalgar! A huge naval battle with Britain”. I looked out and tried to imagine it, but let’s face it, it was 1805 and things were much different back then, not much of anything is left today but the water and some descriptions from old men on a sunny day.

Viet Nam and Hanoi are much different because that war happened during my lifetime and I know many people who fought there in both the US and Vietnamese military. I remember seeing nightly reports on TV. I work with people from all over the world; and have heard many incredible first-hand accounts of people who escaped SE Asia during war years and soon after as “boat people”. One woman told me her story; people with hatchets chased her family across a field killing them as they ran screaming, she jumped in a river to save her life, her young six year old niece jumped on her back, they are all that is left from their family. They were killed not because they had worked with the US during the war but because they were ethnic Chinese living in Viet Nam after the war had concluded in 1975. When people tell you these many stories their eyes become unfocused and drifting as they remember times they thought they would not survive, and they speak in a way of incredulity and gratitude that says yes they somehow came through the other side.

So I have always wanted to go see and experience this area of the world for myself, as a special present.

Something I had read stated Hanoi is comparable to Washington DC as a “historic city” and Saigon is more like Las Vegas as a party town. So I chose history. 

The visa process is a little more complicated than some places but not a big deal. I think it was something like $50 to get in. You can send off your passport in the mail and get pre-approved, you can go to a website and do some legwork there or just go naked. I went the website route and got an “approval letter” which I handed over on arrival in Hanoi Airport, I also brought a couple extra 2”x2” photos.

I normally contact my hotel before arrival and ask them to pick me up at the airport, this has worked out well for me. I stayed at the Hanoi Imperial http://www.hanoiimperialhotel.com/ , it is a medium quality hotel I suppose. I look for a hotel where I can walk to things, I find this really helps. I wanted to be in the “Old Quarter” of Hanoi; http://thingsasian.com/stories-photos/1445
, where vendors are concentrated on different streets according to their occupation, this goes back to royal times. So bamboo is sold on one street and sunglasses on another street etc... This hotel’s location was great for that endeavor.

In a hotel I look for:

Price- Location- free internet- room safe- air conditioning- website- free breakfast
If there is no website and online photos to check out, that is a bit of a red flag for me. I think of a good hotel as a “home base”. I might leave town for an excursion or rent a car and explore. I leave my passport and extra cash in the room safe, I take some good color scans of my passport to carry on me. I also like to work with the hotel for excursions and advice. If I can develop a rapport with a good concierge it really helps.

This Hotel the Hanoi Imperial was a good choice, the room was great, nice and large and quiet, although really no view. The hotel restaurant was on the top floor with a 360 degree view but the elevator stopped two floors below, so you take the elevator to the 6th floor and walk up to the eighth. The food was buffet style and it was quite a varied spread, this fortified me for a good start to the day and saved me some cash!
Many renowned sites like the Hanoi Hilton, the Lake where John McCain crashed, the B52 Lake and Ho Chi Minh’s tomb were within walking distance. In addition to this I booked excursions to the Perfume River, Halong Bay and Sapa, all through the hotel before I left the states.

I bought a few travel books on Viet Nam and then took a razor blade and cut out the parts I wanted and made a new book just on the northern parts of Viet Nam I was going to have time to visit, putting it back together with duct tape.

Perfume River Excursion: This was hot and kinda uncomfortable, the boat seats are low and steel, so bring a small pillow of some kind. The picturesque rowing gets old quick there is not much to look at in the river itself. Be ready for boats with colorful pilgrims for photos. The temples, shops and hike up above are well worth the trip. I tried to talk our group into taking a fast boat back, the other group behind us did with their rowboat sitting crosswise on the larger boat, as the shot past us they laughed and pointed! Rats! The thing I found frustratingly is we asked the bus to stop a couple times for photos on the way down and they refused, the rice harvest was in progress.

Halong Bay: Once again well worth doing. The boat was fun interacting with the people aboard, they had great food, a huge spread, we stopped at a little fishing village, and a great cave system on one of the limestone karst islands, a long day but a fun trip. The photos you see all over will not prepare you for all the tourist boats, a flotilla! But that’s life.

Sapa Trekking: This was really an experience and deserves its’ own write up here-- http://425traveler.blogspot.com/2013/06/mr.html


I wasn’t prepared for the huge line of people at Ho Chi Minh’s tomb. There is no one in American history that would demand even a fraction of this kind of veneration. A huge line around four blocks outside the compound before you even get in. It took me a while and a lot of walking just to find the end of the line! JFK on the day of his funeral had a grand exit but to see this every day, years and years after his passing, the Viet people must truly have a mind-blowing patriotism! I finally gave up and never got in, if you do go make sure you are there first thing in the morning.

The Long Bien Bridge was fun I walked out to the middle of the Red River then down to the island in the middle, worth doing. The traffic watching is hilarious. The market at the foot of the bridge is a little sketchy watch yourself in there. When you walk into a place like that and no one smiles and they stare at you like you are food, it is a sign.

The “water puppet theatre” is something you can miss, I did it and it was just OK. Old women in front of me had to hold up their cells and video THE ENTIRE THING!

I got a good massage close to the hotel, less than a block away and I found it by going to a site like Trip advisor and reading reviews. The most amazing part here is the woman could walk on my soapy back (while I was lying on a raised massage table), without falling off! The narrow little dark hallway and three story walk-up was a little off putting, but I am glad I went.

The B52 Lake; where a plane crashed during the war and some wreckage is still left was very hard to find. I walked and walked and finally gave up, and started talking to some motorbike guys on a corner. They didn’t really speak English so I ended up pantomiming a plane flying over, people shooting at it, and then it crashing into a lake. Voila! Then they all laughed and knew exactly what I wanted. I got a guy to give me a ride over on the back of his motorbike (what I should have done from the start).

Speaking of motorbikes; yes I realize I am rambling but this is important, make sure you stow your gear, and have some glasses to protect your eyes from dust, hang on securely, and take the extra few moments to find a guy/gal that provides you with a helmet. Then relax and enjoy, it was a blast.

If you are going to someplace like Snaketown, which is farther away then take a taxi. Yeah I did that gig where you go and pick out a cobra, they kill it and give you a drink with the heart sill beating floating in the drink, then prepare a meal with the cobra cooked eleven different ways or something like that. They pointed to the price on the menu like they felt I might not be good for it. I think the dinner was 1.2 million dong, which is a little over $50. I showed them I had the cash and asked if they wanted me to pay up front but they motioned no, no one in this area seemed to speak even broken English. We also had a bit of confusion when I explained I don’t drink alcohol. I transferred the cobra heart to a glass of water and then my retinue of waiters were happy and all clapped with enthusiasm. I got the name of this place and the taxi all set up through my concierge. I am sure he got a cut and that’s fine. It makes things easier and safer for everybody.

In closing two things, firstly get up early and hit it and about noon when you are hot and dusty go back to your room (if close enough), and take a cool shower, change clothes and take a nap with the air con. Then go back out all refreshed for an evening run.

Secondly, I need to say one of the coolest places I ran into was by accident (like always). I was trying to find a particular street which was on a walking tour map. It kept taking me into a dead end brick wall, like some kind of Harry potter movie. But the street on the way there, a little back alley kind of street, was just full of life. All kinds of vendors and activity, completely authentic and non-touristy, it was wonderful. (see above)...


No comments: